Travels with Bentley

Travels with Bentley
Bentley - our Heartland Bighorn

Thursday, January 3, 2019

January 1 - January 2, 2019 - It's a Brand New Year!

I forgot to add pictures I took at the Buckhorn Saloon and Museum in San Antonio for my blog post yesterday.  Here they are:

Outside of the building

Very real looking!

This is only a small portion of the animals on display
 I thought these were some of the more interesting ones:

of course I had to take this one for Jaxson

A real close encounter with a moose!

An interesting story, even more so since it was in Kansas, too!

The rattlesnake art was fascinating and I included a few of them:

We saw this beautiful sunset as we were going to get our pizza New Year's Eve!

January 1 - January 2, 2019 - It's a Brand New Year!

Tuesday, January 1, 2019 - The Last Leg - Mission, TX Here We Come

Even though I wasn't feeling great, I was anxious to get things packed up so we could get on the road early this morning.  We are both ready to get this last part of the trip over with and to settle for the next couple of months.  We really enjoyed our winter in Mission last year, especially the warmer weather.  Of course having so many friends in the area was great also and we look forward to spending time with them again this year!

We left Braunig Lake Resort in San Antonio a little after 9 and we were checked in and unhooked at Val's Kountry Corral in Mission Texas a few minutes before 2.  What a great day we chose to make this last day of travel - there was hardly any traffic on the road, allowing us make great time even with several stops along the way.

 I took these pictures during the last 80 miles of our drive today.

Best part of the day..... it was 62 degrees when we arrived, even though it was overcast, it was nice outside.

Within a few minutes of getting parked we had neighbors walking over to say hello or to introduce themselves.  Before I knew it I had bought this neat little carving of Kansas that the neighbor behind us makes.  

I took my time setting everything up inside and Dean worked outside getting the Dish set out, hooking up the water and taking the bicycles off the ladder.  Our steps will not unfold completely, so we are going to have to get a board cut to fit on top of the last step so we do not trip on it while we are here.  We could easily trip if we aren't paying attention so we need to do it soon.

I wanted to get some distilled water, so once we had everything set up inside we went up the road to Dollar General - and there was none on their shelves.  We ended up driving to HEB.  I waited outside while Dean went in to get it.  When we returned to the park, we ate the last of the pizza and wings left over from Pizza Hut last night.  It still tasted great tonight and one more night of not cooking!

We enjoyed just relaxing and watching TV the rest of the evening.

January 2, 2019 - Getting Things Done and A New Member of the Family is Added!

Our first full day here and it decides to rain - not hard, just drizzle and it's cold compared to the nice warm afternoon we enjoyed after we arrived yesterday.  It wasn't too bad walking to the office in my rain coat though.  The office was closed when we arrived yesterday so I needed to take care of our account this morning.  Irene who works in the office, arrived shortly after me.  It didn't take long to get everything squared away.  While I was there I picked up one of the Winter Texan weekly papers to read later.  It lists all of the activities being held at various RV resorts in the Rio Grande Valley area, as well other activities in the area.  There is so much available to do here.

The first day of the month (or like today, the 2nd, since the banks were not open yesterday) Dean likes to get all of our bills paid and the bank account updated so he spent most of the day working on that.  He also makes a spreadsheet that he uses each year, and he needed to make a new one for 2019.  Between the two it took up a good part of the day, while I worked on getting the blog up to date.

We ran over to our friends Pam and Dennis' for awhile this morning to say hello and had a really nice visit with them.  Later Pam brought us some oranges Dennis picked from their tree.  

She told us they are great for juice.  I need to get a reamer so we can enjoy fresh orange juice with our breakfast.

I feel so much better today and I think I've pretty much knocked this cold.  I now think it might have been allergies rather than a cold.  I think there is something here that bothers me.  Once we arrived here in Mission I remembered the same thing happened last year about the time we arrived.

Matt & Megan gave us an Alexa Echo for Christmas.  Once Dean had finished all of his bookkeeping duties, we got it out to try and set it up.  One of our grandkids should have been here as I'm sure the setup would have gone much faster than what it took us to get Alexa to finally talk to us.  It will take a little while to get used to asking her questions, and remembering to tell her to add an item to my grocery list (which immediately shows up on the app on my phone) or to my to-do list (which may be the best thing ever to help me remember something I want to do).  Once we are accustomed to the newest member of our family, I think we might really enjoy having Alexa around.

Another thing I thought was pretty neat:  Dean said, Alexa play some music.  Alexa responded, Since you like Christian music we thought you would enjoy this song.  I don't know who sings it or the name of the song but it was beautiful and it was pretty cool she knew what music I preferred.  Of course, that's probably because I have a lot of Christian music saved on my Amazon music app.

While Dean continued to read the instructions to figure out how to fully utilize Alexa I made dinner.

It was a very productive day and since it was rainy we didn't even mind being inside since it gave us a chance to get all of these things done here at Bentley today, so we can enjoy doing something fun when the weather turns nice (70's +) later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment