Travels with Bentley

Travels with Bentley
Bentley - our Heartland Bighorn

Monday, October 8, 2018

Sunday, October 7, 2018 - Traveling to Jefferson City, MO - An Overnight Stop at Binder Park

Sunday, October 7, 2018 - Traveling to Jefferson City, MO - An Overnight Stop at Binder Park

I am becoming frustrated with my morning wake up time after the recent time change - 4:00am again today....staying up past 10:00pm didn't even make the difference.   I'll have to keep working on this - 4:00am is just too early to be getting up for the day.  

It started raining shortly after I got up and rained off and on, but fortunately it quit before it was time to hookup and begin our travel from Putnam, IL to Jefferson City, MO.  It was a very long travel day for us - we left Putnam shortly before 9 and it was just after 4 when we finally made it inside Bentley to put the slides out.  

I can't help but wonder what this building was used for in the past.  

Some of the rain we drove in this morning

We had a break here.  Had to have this barn picture!

We stopped along the road in front of this Methodist Church for a "restroom break" in Bentley.  The lighting was not good but this stained glass was just beautiful.  If you look close you can see the deer on the right drinking from the water.  It makes me think of Psalms 42:1 - As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God.

As we approached Hannibal, MO

Crossing the Missouri/Illinois River

Several miles outside of Jefferson City

As we drew closer

Then the rain started

And got worse

The sun was really trying to brighten things up.

What a day it was - rain off and on almost the entire day.  As we got within an hour or two of Jefferson City, it started to rain, and rain, and rain some more.  In fact, the skies were looking so bad I pulled out my phone to check the weather only to discover we were literally passing through a town near where a rotating cloud had been spotted and they were issuing a warning for the area with a time frame for it to hit there - near the time we were passing through.  There was nothing we could do at that point.  Fortunately, we had no problems there was just LOTS of rain.  I really believe in God's presence and know he was with us and protecting us from any harm.  

When I called the park yesterday to reserve a site there was only one left - a handicapped site.  As we pulled in to Binder Park, the park host walked over to the kiosk near their campsite. The rain had let up a bit by the time we arrived. The host told us three people had left so we could pick from any of those sites and they will hold the handicapped site in case it's needed.  We decided on one at the top of the hill, just across the road from where we had stopped to talk with him.  It required us to drive almost the entire loop in order for us to be in the position to back in that site.  By now it had started to rain again. As Dean was backing Bentley in - the rain gradually begin to increase.  I'm outside directing him like I always do but no matter which way he goes there are branches hitting the RV - and big enough I was concerned they might damage the roof or the awning, so I stopped Dean.  After looking it over, we decided to move to the other side of the loop and try one of the other two spots - except once we get there, one of those is gone, so we have one shot left.  

It was no longer just raining, it was literally pouring and lightning too.  We couldn't stop though as we had to get the truck out of the road.  It was dark due to the storm, and with the rain so heavy Dean could not see me giving him signals and I couldn't see him.  After a few tries and not getting anywhere, he told me to get in the driver's seat.  He said he would direct me, as I backed Bentley into the site  He stood next to me, with my window down.  It was not an easy straight shot into the site.  Besides the dark of the storm, the rain was running into his eyes and he was literally soaked. But we got it done - and we were so thankful we did!   Once we finally got inside, Dean's clothes literally looked as if they had just come out of the washer without having gone through the the spin cycle.  I hope it's the last time we ever have to park in weather like this.  It was over an hour and a half before it let up enough that we wanted to head for something to eat, and pick up milk for breakfast tomorrow.  

We were both exhausted by the time we made it inside.  We changed in to dry clothes and just chilled for a little while.  I hung our clothes up in the shower, on the shower rod I keep there for that purpose, and set our small heater in the bathroom with hopes it will get them dry (or at least mostly dry) by morning.  

Binder Park is a Jefferson City, City Park.  It's a relatively small park, but is very nice.  I wish I had thought to take a picture of the park.  Each site had a nice cover over the picnic table in a good sized area behind each RV.  It had full hookups at $22/night.  I'm not sure of the exact number but I would guess 20 sites.  It's very near Jefferson City restaurants, major stores, and a mall.  There was a Dollar Store within a mile or two of the park which was very convenient for stopping on our way back to pick up milk.  We would not hesitate to return here as an overnight stop or a visit to the area.  

Back at Bentley we enjoyed watching Dancing with the Stars Juniors.  What a treat watching these young kids.  Shark Tank followed it, a show we also enjoy.  It was nice to relax the rest of the evening.


  1. Sometimes backing to a site in the rain is nit easy but glad you made it. And a free shower and clothes washing a bonus?

  2. It is so disappointing when our travels are during rain showers but getting into a spot through a rain storm is yeuchhy! That is unfortunate but you had to do it.
    You said you chilled for a bit and I'll bet you also meant literally!
    It sounds like a nice park, not sure how long you were staying or if it was just a stopover.