Travels with Bentley

Travels with Bentley
Bentley - our Heartland Bighorn

Monday, March 13, 2017

Monday, March 13, 2017 – Cleveland County Fairgrounds – Norman, OK

Monday, March 13, 2017 – Cleveland County Fairgrounds – Norman, OK 

Sunday evening we were unsure if we would be able to leave on our trip to Tucson this morning.  When Dean woke up Saturday morning he reached up to scratch his face or react to something – he’s not really sure – but it felt like something stung or bit him, however he did not feel or see anything that might have caused it.  He has had a small bump in the side of his cheek as long as he can remember so we wondered if this might have been a cyst and maybe it could have burst.  Nothing else occurred throughout the day.  As the evening wore on, he noticed his cheek was slightly swollen.  He put some ice on it and later went to bed.  When he woke up Sunday morning his cheek appeared to be bruised and was swollen about twice as much as the night before.  He put some more ice on it and even though it was still swollen he felt fine, so we went on to church.

Sunday was our daughter, Misti’s 40th birthday, so after church we took her, grandson Logan and her best friend Julie to dinner at our local Mexican restaurant, Mi Pueblo.  Marc and his family (Jen, Kamron & Jaxson) picked Haleigh (Misti’s daughter) up at her dad’s on the way down.  We had a great lunch and a good time visiting.  Carlos, the restaurant owner provided Misti with a birthday treat.  Here are a few pictures.
Carlos putting the Mexican Hat on her and his wife feeding her a bit of the sopapilla with honey, cinnamon and whipped cream they served her.  

Misti and her best-friend Julie.

Afterwards everyone came back to the house for a little dessert – Misti’s favorite, Angel Food Delight.  

By now Dean’s cheek was swelling even more and was beginning to move up his cheek towards his temple.  After everyone left we decided to make a trip to urgent care.  Since we are planning to head out tomorrow on a 3 week RV trip we wanted to make sure everything was okay….about an hour and a half later the doctor felt most likely something had bit him, however what, we were unsure.  He did caution us what to look for in case it was a brown recluse spider, and gave him a good dose of antibiotics to take for 10 days.

Sunday night.

This morning when we got up the swelling in Dean’s cheek had diminished at least half of what it was late Sunday evening.  There was no enlargement of the bruised area, he had no pain, there were no sores/blisters, and he has not had any fever.  Since none of the things they told us to watch for appeared, he wanted to go ahead with our plans so we left Oswego at 10:45 this morning.  Our first stop is in Norman, OK at the Cleveland County Fairgrounds.  We have stayed here overnight before and while it is nothing special it certainly meets our needs for an overnight stay.  There is 50 amp electric and a water hookup at our site, and decent spacing between rigs. 

We originally planned to take 59 highway south from Oswego to I-44 in Vinita, but decided we would go on through Vinita and take Route 66 instead.  Bobbie, our GPS, was unrelenting in her demands that we turn around but we stuck to our guns all the way to Tulsa.

A few pictures I took along the way.
Our grand-kids love watching the train go by our house when they stay with us.  This train made me think of them.

Bridge over the McClellan Kerr Arkansas River Navigation System (MKARNS).  I was unable to get a shot of the barges on Dean's side. 

Blue Whale of Catoosa - believe it or not I have never stopped here but love seeing it along the highway.

We arrived at the Fairgrounds here in Norman at 3:15 p.m. and soon found the office where we paid $20 for our site. The people in the office were so nice and friendly.  We were fortunate to get a great spot where we can park the truck right up next to Bentley's door.  It is very windy and even though the temperatures here are warmer than at home – it is still very cold with a very sharp wind whipping around us.

By the time we had unhooked and set up, it was nearly 4:30 and we had not eaten anything all day.  I made a sausage pizza, cooking it in our cast iron skillet in the RV oven.  That helped warm up the living area.  After dinner Dean wanted to get some fuel for the truck, so we drove around a bit before before finding a station that sold diesel.  During our drive I took these pictures:
I can't pass up great flag shots!  

Telephone Road - we had to see where it went - not really anywhere but it provided us with the beautiful picture below.  For those of you that do not know Dean worked for a telephone company for 44 years.

Loved this flag shot!

Once we returned we had a small snack, angel food cake and strawberries, left over from the dessert I made Misti yesterday.  

Now we are in for the night.  Dean’s watching TV so it’s a good time for me to get this blog post completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment