Travels with Bentley

Travels with Bentley
Bentley - our Heartland Bighorn

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

December 28, 2015 - January 3, 2016

Monday, December 28, 2015 -
Winter weather hit Oswego sometime this morning and it was already getting pretty slick out shortly after we were up.  We are driving Matt, Megan and Josh back to Wichita today.  We decided we would take the truck rather than drive in the van.  Matt wanted to get going pretty quick, so they were packed up and ready to leave not long after 9a.m.

Unfortunately I feel like I'm getting a head cold.  I hope I am able to divert it before it gets too bad.

Our drive went really well and fortunately while there was traffic it was not real heavy and most people were driving pretty responsibly.  We did stop several times for bathroom breaks, and each time Dean had to clean the windshield of ice buildup.  It took us 4.5 hours to get to Jarred's house.  We were all ready to get out of the vehicle for awhile.

Logan's grandma and grandpa Ybarra brought him to Jarred's in Wichita so he could ride home with us.  It worked out well as they wanted to go by the airport and meet their niece who was waiting on her flight back home.  Jarred is about 2-3 miles from the airport.

We decided that it might be best if we left to head home right away and Jarred agreed to deliver Matt & family to the airport.  We knew we would get home after dark so we hated to be out if the roads were still icy.  Fortunately the return trip was much better and we made it home in about three hours.

Matt and Megan were very fortunate.  Their plane left Wichita on time and they made it to their connecting flight in Atlanta (which was already boarding when they arrived at the gate) and arrived back in Buffalo, NY on time.  The next morning we heard of many individuals and families being stranded in airports across many states so we were very thankful they made it home without any delays.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 -
Cindy and I made a trip to Joplin today.  Dean bought me a Fitbit for Christmas and I decided I wanted to upgrade it from the Fitbit Charge to the ChargeHR.  We made a stop at Joe Harding's Kitchen Supply first where I purchased a couple of insets for my pans to cook bacon and other meats in the oven.  I also bought a thermometer to check the temperature of our oven.  I think it's cooking a little lower than it should be.

Another gift was a Khol's gift card, so that was our next stop.  I wanted to purchase a new pair of jeans. With my Khol's cash and Rewards points I had already earned I was able to purchase a pair of jeans and a top for less than $12 and didn't even use my gift card yet.

Cindy wanted to stop at DressBarn and then we visited Bed, Bath & Beyond.  I received a gift card for here as well.  I left there with a new rolling pin and pastry sheet.  Last time I made homemade noodles I decided it was the last time I would use my old rolling pin which I've had for over 40 years. It didn't want to roll anymore, it just wanted to slide.  A couple of people told me they had a pastry sheet and loved it so I thought I would try that as well.  I haven't tried them out yet but will report when I do.

We decided to eat lunch at Schlotsky's. Cindy really likes their sandwiches and I have to admit on this cold day a warmed sandwich tasted pretty good.  We originally planned to go by Hallmark as I also have a gift card for there, but by then we were pretty tired and still needed to stop at Wal-mart for a few things before heading home, so I'll save that gift card for another time.

We did wonder about the flooding that occurred the last few days on our trip to Joplin.  The roads going to Joplin from Riverton and Baxter Springs were under water but we were able to make it on Old 96 Highway.  However, the water was near the edge of the road and it was a little daunting to make the drive through this area.  On the way home I had a light indicating one of my tires had low pressure but none of them looked low - and they are brand new tires.  After talking to Dean I drove it on home, even though I stopped at least 3 times on the way to be sure nothing changed.  I really slowed down going back through the high water areas near Spring River on our way home just in case anything happened with a tire I didn't want to end up in the high water.  We had no problems though.  When I got home, Dean checked and the back passenger tire was a little low.  Come to find out there was a bent nail that did some damage to the tire as well.  Fortunately we had road hazard coverage as we only purchased these tires a few weeks ago.  Ugh!  They'll have it next week.

After I finally made it home, I wanted to get my Fitbit working.  I went through the instructions online several times and then Dean tried it several times and nothing we did could get the Fitbit to show it was charging.  I will try and call them tomorrow to see if we can figure out the problem.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 -
When I got up this morning my head and throat felt worse than it had, but after I was up and hour or two I was feeling better.  I attended my Bible Study this morning and as usual enjoyed it very much. Afterwards I stopped by the grocery store to pick up the roast for my dinner tomorrow night.  I am hosting my sisters and their husbands for dinner on New Year's Eve.  This is the 3rd or 4th year we have done this now and it's become a bit of a tradition.  We always have a great time.

I did some cleaning in preparation for tomorrow night but otherwise it was pretty quiet.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 -
I can't believe this is the last day of 2015 and exactly 2 years ago that I worked my last day for the City of Oswego.  Where has time gone?  Since we've retired I think it is flying by even faster that it did when we were working.

I did some more cleaning today and preparation for tonight, making sure everything was ready and laid out.

I also called Fitbit this morning.  I explained I had gone through the procedures per their instructions and while the lights were flashing on the back of the Fitbit like it was charged nothing was showing on the screen at all.  In fact all it would do was make a little buzz when you pushed the button to turn the screen on.  After telling me they were working on a fix for the Fitbit ChargeHR and they would issue me a work order number I asked her if  something should not show on the screen to indicate it was charging like cell phones do.  She said yes and asked if it was doing this.  I said no, nothing shows up on the screen.  I held the Fitbit up to the phone and pressed the button so she could hear the buzzing it made.  She told me it should not do that I and needed to return it to where I purchased it as it was defective.  So guess what we will do tomorrow.

I am fixing a prime rib tonight for the first time ever.  I have to admit I am a little nervous about cooking such an expensive piece of meat and hoping the recipe I am using will not let me down. Yesterday I also did some checking with the oven thermometer and found I was right and my oven was not registering high enough for the temperature it was set on.  My recipe calls for cooking the prime rib at 500 degrees for the number of minutes that equals the weight x 5, rounded up to the next number + 1 minute to allow for when the oven door is opened to put the prime rib in.  Once the time is up, you turn off the oven and do not open it for 2 hours.  At that time it should be done.  We checked it with the meat thermometer and it was as it said it would be.  What a relief!  It worked. I don't think we spent anymore for the prime rib than we have the steaks we have cooked in past years and as much as I love steak, I really, really love prime rib!

Dean cut the slices for 8 of us.  Lonie & Crystal brought twice baked potatoes - very delicious and Cindy & Elmer brought a large salad made similar to Olive Garden's with their dressing and Jody & Mark brought a cheesecake with strawberry topping and a homemade coconut cream pie.  Needless to say none of us went hungry and everything was delicious.

We played games and laughed alot.  The guys always manage to keep us in stitches.  Everyone gave it up about 10 and we were asleep before 11.  We never heard a sound at midnight.

Friday, January 1, 2016
Happy New Year!  We both slept pretty late this morning, unusual for us.  Guess we got the New Year off to a good start that way.

Dean and I had breakfast and then took off for Joplin to return my Fitbit and try again.  He wanted to stop at Harbor Freight and we also needed to buy a birthday present for our grandson Roman.  He turned 5 on the 28th, but his birthday party is Saturday in Wichita.

We had no problems exchanging the Fitbit and soon were moving on to Harbor Freight. Unfortunately Dean could not find what he was looking for so our next stop was Toys R Us.  After searching the store over twice, we finally decided on a Thor Hammer and decided we would also see if Wal-mart had anything else we could add with it.  Roman loves Superheroes so I'm sure he'll love our choice. By now it was time for lunch and we tried a new place called Sami's Diner.  It wasn't too bad but nothing real special.  After a quick stop at Wal-mart we backtracked to Braum's for an ice cream cone, our last one for awhile as we plan to begin eating a little better with the New Year.

You might have noticed I did not say we were going on a diet.  Last year I decided diets were a bunch of hooey and instead I changed our eating habits.  We try to eat good balanced meals with more fruits and vegetables, and I decided no second helpings for me.  We also started walking.  At the end of the year I had lost 14 pounds and other than a little more money for fresh fruit and vegetables it didn't cost me anything and was much easier than counting calories and starving ourselves.

I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening playing with my Fitbit.  It charged right up and I was amazed at all it would tell me.  I'm anxious to see my sleep pattern.  Haha

Saturday, January 2, 2016
We left Oswego about 10 this morning for Wichita to attend Roman's birthday party.  The party is at 2pm at the YMCA closest to their house, west of Maize Rd..  It was a good 3 hour drive.  We stopped and had a quick lunch at Wendy's nearby and made it to the Y right at 2.  Roman had a great time with some of his friends from daycare and his brothers, along with little cousins Emerson (Jarred & Andrea's daughter) and Brighton (Casey's sister Megan and husband Josh's daughter).  Following the gift opening, cake and ice cream they all went swimming.  We set with Jarred and Andrea and visited for quite awhile before they left to head home.  Emerson was getting fussy and was ready for a nap.  We left after the party concluded to head back home.  We were glad to see Oswego, and we didn't do anything except sit in front of the TV the rest of the evening.

Sunday, January 3, 2016
Today is my Sunday afternoon to host my sister's so I made some brownies with pecans.  After that I took my time getting ready for church and headed out about 10:25.  We had a good service.  I really appreciate our pastor and his wife.  They are such a loving and caring couple and I'm glad to be attending here.

Tucker texted Dean before I left this morning to see if Papa might want to play golf.  Dean met Renae in Columbus a little after noon to get Tucker and they played until about 2:30.  It was a little cool and Tucker didn't quite come prepared for the cold weather.  I loaded him up with hot chocolate and brownies when they got back.  After my sister's left, we took Tucker home and checked in on the project Brett and Renae are working on.  Brett is building a mantel for their fireplace.  We didn't stay too long as we did not want to keep Brett from his work.

We had leftover chili for dinner tonight and watched some TV.  Another week has passed and already 3 days into the New Year.  What did I say earlier about time passing quickly!




No comments:

Post a Comment