Travels with Bentley

Travels with Bentley
Bentley - our Heartland Bighorn

Monday, December 14, 2015

Sunday, December 6 - Saturday, December 12, 2015

Sunday, December 6, 2015

I'm an early morning person.  I love being up around 5am while it's quiet so I can drink my coffee in silence.  At this time of year I love turning the lights on the Christmas tree and just enjoying the quiet.  I downloaded an app to my phone of the Bible and have been reading sections of the scripture daily in hopes I will finally read the entire Bible in one year.  I have started in many times but I have not stayed committed but I am really enjoying it this time.  Maybe it's having that extra time in my life.

I also love that normally I can get all of my housework out of the way early in the day so I can focus on other things that I want to accomplish through the day.  Once my morning chores were completed I got ready for church.  I am hosting my sister's at my house today.  My Aunt Lillie (my mom's youngest sister) is in town and I'm hoping she will be coming by to visit as well.  Misti is also going to come over.  We had a great time and Aunt Lillie brought her youngest son Todd with her.  We had such a great time visiting.

Whoever hosts is supposed to provide refreshments.  I was a bit lazy but I did have homemade cookies (pumpkin with pecans) and I made flavored hot chocolate for those who wanted it.  My dad's mom made these pumpkin cookies every year at Christmas and they are still my favorite cookie as they remind me of all the times spent with her.

In just two more weeks our son Matt, his wife Megan and their son Josh will be here for about a week.  I've been working on getting our extra bedroom "cleaned" out to give them more room.  With a little one they need all of the extra space we can provide.  I've been cleaning out space in the closet for hanging clothes and we bought a dresser for them to use rather than live out of their suitcases.

Another great day!


Monday, December 7, 2015

Jaxson, our 3 year old grandson came to spend two days with us.  He is such a cute little guy and we have a good time together.  We played lots of hide and seek today.  He would just giggle when I was looking for him, just about to burst waiting for me to "find" him.  Then he would just laugh.  You can't help but just feel happy at moments like this.

I built lots of tall buildings from Lincoln Logs just so he could knock them down.  As soon as one came down it was, "Build another one Nana!".  He kept me busy all day.  No complaints though.

While Jaxson took his afternoon nap I made some pecan tarts to take to church tomorrow night.  They recently started a women's group and are calling it Second Tuesday.  Each lady will bring cookies, breads, muffins, candy, etc. and we will be putting together baskets for shut-in's from our church and to take to the Home Place, an assisted living center here in Oswego.

A fun day!


Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Jaxson and I played more hide and seek today but we switched to Tinker Toys for playtime.  Our grandkids love the Tinker Toys.

We played alot today and I packed up things in the car to take to the church in Chetopa for their monthly garage sale.  It felt good to get all of those tubs and loose things out of the bedrooms. They are beginning to shape up now for our company!

I had my pecan pie muffins ready to go for our women's meeting tonight.  We are also supposed to take a snack item.  My snack was pretty simple, a package of cream cheese with jalapeno & bacon jelly poured over it along with a couple of types of crackers.

Once we all arrived and we were surveying all of the goodies we wondered how we would ever get everything on the small trays we had, but as usual God provides.  One of the ladies had purchased a large package of tinfoil pans from Sam's.  She ran home to get them and the trays sit down in them perfectly to hold all of the goodies just fine.  There were calendars, devotionals, notepads, lotions, etc. that were included along with all of the baked goods.  What a fun evening it was.


Wednesday, December 9, 2015

This morning is the weekly Bible Study I've been attending.  I look forward to this time with these ladies.  It's just a nice laid back time of visiting, sharing God's word, and enjoying each other's company.

Nothing else too interesting today.


Thursday, December 10, 2015

Dean and I got around early this morning and headed to Joplin to do a little Christmas shopping.  I think he wondered what he got himself into after the first hour or so.  We were able to get all of the "Christmas" items out of the way before lunch.

Our son Brett works in Joplin at MSSU.  We called him to see if he would be available for lunch and he was.  We arrived at his work but after driving around the parking area twice and not finding anyplace to park, we called him.  He said it was okay to park in one of the Staff/Faculty parking spots as many of them are already gone for the day or the semester.  I was hoping my car would not be towed away while we were gone.  We decided on HuHot for lunch.  I really like this place.  We had a really nice visit with Brett.  We had not been to his office before so it was nice seeing where he works.

We made one last stop at Wal-mart to get a few other gift items for some of the grandkids.  We almost have everything bought now.  I'll need to do one more trip next week but the worse is now over.


Friday, December 11, 2015

I could not believe how tired I was today.  I can remember the day when shopping all day long was nothing to me - I could out last all of my sisters, my daughter and nieces, but no more.  It was wonderful to be heading home by 2:30 yesterday.

My sister came over this afternoon to help me in hanging some shelving above our desk with family pictures.  I want this completed before our Christmas.  I spent the rest of the day downloading pictures I want to have printed off at Wal-green's for framing.

Logan had a JV game tonight against Chetopa.  Unfortunately Oswego lost, but we enjoyed being there and watching him play.


Saturday, December 12, 2015

Today we are headed to Parsons to watch our granddaughter Kamron play basketball.  Our son, Marc coaches her team.  They played great and won the game.  Afterwards we went by their house to get Kamron some clothes as she will be going home with us for the evening.  This is the first time she has stayed with us since before we left on our trip in August so I am looking forward to spending time with her.

Haleigh, Misti's daughter came over later in the day and they helped me wrap Christmas presents.  I really appreciate them doing that for me.  Later we made our own pizzas - sausage, sausage and pepperoni, pepperoni & cheese and ranch dressing, chicken, bacon bits and cheese pizzas.  They were really good.

Afterwards we watched a couple of Christmas movies, and then Inside Out.  I don't know how Kamron made it through them without falling asleep.  I think I dozed off and on through all of them.






No comments:

Post a Comment