Travels with Bentley

Travels with Bentley
Bentley - our Heartland Bighorn

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Sunday, November 22, 2015 to Saturday, November 28, 2015 - Wichita and Oswego, KS

Sunday, November 22, 2015 to Saturday, November 28, 2015 - Wichita and Oswego, KS

Sunday, November 22, 2015 - Wichita, KS

We left Kansas City about 8:45 this morning and moved along pretty good to Wichita, arriving at 12:30.  The RV Office was closed but they had left information for us on the site we would be in.  We quickly got pulled in and set up, turned the heat and refrigerator on, ate some lunch and then headed to Heath & Casey's to visit and watch the KC Chiefs football game.  Fortunately the Chiefs had another great win - we can only hope things have truly turned around for them and the season continues to improve for our team.

We had a good time talking with the kids in between watching the game, and later Casey ordered pizza for dinner.  The pizza was wood fired and really delicious.  We ordered the meat lover's pizza and it was the best of it's kind we've ever had, having a nice smoked flavor.  Heath had one called "Itis" which was also very good.  This is definitely a place for repeat orders.

We headed out not too long after dinner so the kids could get ready for bed.  We will see them again on Tuesday at Grandparent's Day.




Monday, November 23, 2015 - Wichita, KS

It was nice to take our time getting around this morning.  We ate our breakfast and then headed out to visit a few places.  We walked through Mennard's just checking on a few things, but no purchases.  After lunch back at Bentley, we decided to go to the movies - we've seen more movies in theaters this year than in the past 3-4 years put together I would guess.  This time we chose "Love the Coopers".  Just now as I am writing this I asked Dean what the name of it was and he said, "Getting to know the Crow's".  I'm still laughing.  He is too funny.

While most people probably didn't or wouldn't enjoy it much, like Dean, I liked it very much.  I love feel good, sappy stories, good time endings, etc. so it was right up my alley.  I'm not much for any type of violence, vulgar language, etc.  I want to feel good when I leave a movie, and I did.  

We are meeting Andrea and Jarred for dinner tonight so once we returned we got around and headed to their house about 5:30 or so.  We chose "Longhorn Steakhouse" for dinner.  Dean and I have tried the one in Joplin a couple of times.  The first time for lunch was really good, but the second time I was really disappointed in the steak they brought him.  It was so thin, although had good flavor.  Tonight we had an excellent meal.  He ordered the ribeye and I ordered prime rib.  They were both quite tender, and mine almost melted in my mouth.  I would definitely return here.

We stopped at Lowe's on the way back to pick up a breaker that Jarred needed to replace and when we returned the guys took care of that job.  Since tonight was Dancing with the Stars we moved downstairs and watched parts of it as we visited with Andrea's cousin, Stacey.  Stacey is staying with them this week and through the holiday while visiting from Dodge City.  I really enjoyed visiting with Andrea and Stacey.  Stacey is a big fan of DWTS so it was fun to talk with someone who knew what has been going on this season.  Tonight was the semi-finals, and tomorrow night will be the finale.  I am rooting for Bindi Irwin.  She's amazing and of course Derrick Hough is one of the best dancers and choreographers on the show, in my humble opinion.

We headed back to Bentley.  We need to head to the boy's school tomorrow by 9ish, and we need to have everything packed and ready to go when we return so we can get on the road home.

Today is our granddaughter, Dacy's birthday.  She is 14.  I will be taking her and our granddaughter Haleigh shopping for their birthdays this Saturday in Joplin. (Haleigh's was October 30, but we've not had a chance to do hers so we'll combine them this year) I really look forward to spending the day with them and we always eat at Olive Garden.  It is one of my favorite restaurants - and theirs as well.  You might remember our granddaughter Kamron's favorite is also Olive Garden.  Girls after my own heart!


Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - Wichita & Oswego, KS

Fortunately we got a great night's sleep and we were up early this morning so we had our chores out of the way in plenty of time to head to Abram and Gideon's school for Grandparents Day.  This is our 3rd time to attend the event.  This year they made some significant improvements on getting parents in the building much quicker by providing a signup ahead of time rather than having to check each person in individually as they have in the past.  If we had been here before and provided ID we could sign up via the internet. They would have our badges made for us, using information from our Driver's License to confirm who we are.  It went quite smooth and we were soon seated in the gymnasium where they had chairs set up for us.  Their choir sang a few songs before they had us visit the student's rooms.  The choir was excellent.  Mike and Brenda (Addis), Casey's parents were also attending so we split duties.  We visited Abram's class first while they spent time with Gideon, then we switched half way through.  In conjunction with the day's events they also hold their book fair.  As it was, Gideon ran into Abram in the hall as Abram was leaving the book fair, and they discussed the books to get.  Between them they ended up with all 4 books on the game "Minecraft" which they love to play.  We bought Gideon 2 and the Addis' bought 2 for Abram.  I understand that Gideon had them read in no time.  By the way Gideon is in first grade and Abram is in the 2nd.

We left the school slightly before noon, stopped at Spangle's to eat a burger and fries and headed back to the RV Park to hook up Bentley for the return trip home.  Something I failed to mention earlier is how much we love our new truck.  It rides so smooth, with no chugging and it takes the road bumps almost like they are non-existent.  What a difference and how comfortable I was the entire trip to KC, to Wichita and on our trip home.  We are not sorry we bit the bullet and upgraded.  Once home I was looking at the number of days we traveled this year and we stayed in Bentley more than 125 nights.  With the holidays, we are glad to be home but come January I will begin to miss our travels very much.  However, I do have a few projects I want to work on and I hope they will help pass the time so we can uncover our dear Bentley about mid-March in preparation for the 2016 travels.

Jarred and Emerson will be coming to Oswego later this evening to spend the night and Wednesday with us.  She's the happiest little girl and we enjoy seeing them both.  As it was, Jarred was able to leave work a little early and arrived here about 2 hours after we got home.  As soon as we parked, we started hauling clothes, food, toiletries, etc. into the house so we had that out of the way.  We no sooner finished and Jarred was pulling in.

I made spaghetti for dinner.  Misti, Haleigh and Logan came over to eat and to see Ms. Emmie.  It was a nice meal with Misti and Jarred and their kids here.  Jarred told us later that Andrea, his wife had called, and her maternal grandmother passed away this evening. She has been ill for several months and while expected it is still hard losing someone you love so much.  Her grandma was such a nice lady and I see her in Emmie.  



Wednesday, November 25, 2015, Oswego, KS

Dean and Jarred went to Tina's for breakfast this morning.  I spent most of the day doing laundry, getting the last of things put away from our trip and doing some cooking to make Thursday a little less hectic.

We enjoyed visiting with Jarred and playing with Emerson throughout the day.  She's really such a good little girl but she is getting pretty fond of her mom and dad, especially if they walk out of the room.  She had a little walking toy that she was quite happy to play with for a good part of the day.  

Later in the afternoon, I made some chicken chili and cornbread - thanks Janie, for the recipe, and soon after we ate, Jarred and Emerson loaded up to head home.  Tomorrow will be a big day so we headed to bed pretty early.  I'll be getting up early tomorrow to finish the meal.  Fortunately we are not eating until 4pm so I've got most of the day to get ready.



Thursday, November 26, 2015, Oswego, KS

I didn't waste too much time reading RV blogs this morning.  I made of list of what needed to be done, when it should be put on to cook, when it should come out of the oven.  I picked up things around the house in between my schedule of cooking.  Before I knew it was near 2:30 or 3:00 and Brett, Renae, Dacy and Tucker and Heath, Casey, Abram, Gideon and Roman were here.  We visited in between me getting things together.  Renae made 4 homemade pies that were all delicious.  I know because I tasted every single one of them.  This year I tried a different dressing and I loved it.  It will be my new go-to Thanksgiving dressing recipe from now on.  My sister Cindy, got it from her sister-in-law Nancy.  Great recipe!

We had a good time visiting and later daughter Misti, boyfriend Chuck, and Misti's kids Logan and Haleigh stopped by.  Brett and Renae left awhile afterwards as they were both getting very tried.  Misti and Chuck followed not too long afterwards.

Tonight Logan, Haleigh, Dacy, Tucker, Abram and Gideon are spending the night here.  After Misti and Chuck left I started pulling out all of my blankets and pillows onto the living room floor.  It is almost an annual event to have the kids spend the night on Thanksgiving.  They spread out on the floor, and we find a movie for them to watch.  Tonight's movie was Night at the Museum.  I think the kids really had a good time and enjoyed getting to see each other again.  We loved having them.  

Dean and I headed to bed about 9:30 or 10:00.  I think the kids drifted off pretty quick after we did with only one or two making it to the end of the movie.



Friday, November 27, 2015, Oswego, KS

I got up pretty early this morning, made the coffee and then headed to the playroom to have my first cup and talk with my sister Cindy on the phone.  It wasn't long before kids started waking up and can you believe after all that food yesterday and last night, they were hungry again.  I was pretty lazy this morning and it was breakfast cereal and frozen waffles on the menu.  Everyone seemed quite happy with the choices though.

Abram and Gideon went to their Grandparents (Addis') about 10.  Dean brought in my scrawny Christmas tree soon after for the kids to decorate. I asked the kids if they knew what today was.  They said, "Papa's birthday"!  I asked them if they wanted to sing Happy Birthday to him and they did.  Tucker led them in the song as they walked into the living room where Papa was working on the lights on the Christmas tree. He was pleased with their singing to him.  I wasn't very happy with the lights, and we decided to replace the ones on there plus buy more.  It took a couple of trips to the Dollar General before we got the lights I wanted, and by the time the lights were on the tree, Brett and Renae showed up to get Dacy and Tucker.  We all had leftovers from yesterday for lunch and then visited for awhile.  Logan had basketball practice at 9 and had left a little before 8 to take his mom to work so he would have the car.  His car is out of commission right now.  

Once everyone had left and I had cleaned up, I decided to go ahead and add the ornaments to the tree.  Misti called later to see if we were doing anything this evening and if not, could she and Chuck take us to dinner for Dean's birthday.  They let him choose where to go in Pittsburg and he chose Chicken Mary's.  Fried chicken is his favorite meal and we all love it too.  We had a nice evening visiting with them and Haleigh.  Thanks so much for dinner.  It meant a lot to Dean.



Saturday, November 28, 2015, Oswego, KS & Joplin, MO

Well, I am running on pure fumes at this point.  It seems like we have been on the run since a week ago Thursday when I was trying to get laundry done and Bentley loaded for our trip to KC on Friday.  I drug myself out of bed so I could have at least one cup of coffee before I started getting ready to pick up the girls for our shopping trip.  Logan spent the night with us and I had to get him up to take him home.  From there I headed to Brett and Renae's to pick up Dacy, then on to 4 corners (69/160 Highway intersection) to meet Chuck and Misti and to get Haleigh.  We were soon headed to Joplin.  We had put together a plan.  Our first stop would be at Ross for Less.  We expected to be there about an hour and then have lunch, but they were ready to go in 20 minutes or so, so we threw in a quick trip to Khol's.  Dacy found a really cute dress here that she wanted to get for a choir program that is coming up in December.  She made a call to her mom and since we didn't hear from her before we left, we asked them to hold the dress until 12:30 and they did.  I decided I wanted to look for a heavier sweater to wear for the day as it was quite cold out.  In fact, the coldest day we've been out this fall so far.  I found one I really liked and it was on sale.  Fortunately the day before I had received a 20% off coupon that also helped with this purchase.

Our next stop, Olive Garden.  We wanted to get there when it opened as we were not sure how busy it would be.  The girls both had fettucine alfredo with salad and breadsticks and I chose the pasta fagolia with salad.  As usual it was DELICIOUS!  Because it was their birthday celebration, we splurged and had dessert.  The dessert was little fried dough treats with powdered sugar, served with both rasberry and chocolate sauce.  Oh my, they were so yummy!

Renae texted Dacy and told her yes on the dress so back to Khol's we went to buy the dress, with that 20% off coupon.  Woohoo!  From there we headed to Northpark Mall.  We were all over that mall.  Haleigh was looking for shoes.  We didn't find any but she ended up buying a pretty sweater at American Eagle and a T-shirt at Hot Topic.  Dacy bought jeans at American Eagle, a shirt at Ross, a sweater at TJ Maxx and they both bought beanie hats. We made a stop at McDonald's before heading home.  It was a great day and I enjoyed spending time with these two young ladies.  They are growing up way too fast.  

Tonight we put a big dent in the leftovers from Thanksgiving.  It was good, but after the 3rd or 4th meal, I do begin to get tired of it.

I started working on the newsletter for the Ozark Chapter 17 of SKP's.  I took on that duty and my first one is due out in December.  I hope to have it out before the 15th of the month.

See you next week.




No comments:

Post a Comment