Travels with Bentley

Travels with Bentley
Bentley - our Heartland Bighorn

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Sunday, November 15 - Saturday, November 21, 2015 - Oswego & Kansas City

Sunday, November 15 - Saturday, November 21, 2015 - Oswego & Kansas City


Sunday, November 15 - Oswego

After our morning coffee we walked at the park.  I came home and managed to get quite a bit more done around the house before getting ready for church.  I guess I am going to have to begin making notes about what I do each day or write on the blog more often as I can't remember what we did on Sunday.  I did make several lists of things I wanted to get done before we leave for Kansas City on Friday.  I want to get as much of my Thanksgiving preparation out of the way before we leave.  

We did not have a sister's meetup today as Crystal (3rd in line) watched their grandson Dempsey overnight and they were taking him back home to Missouri today.  I'll be gone next Sunday so I guess I will miss out until the first Sunday in December when I host next.




Monday, November 16, Oswego

It started raining yesterday evening, and rained through the night.  So walking in the park was not a welcome idea.  We wanted to keep our momentum going, so I dug out my Walking away the Pounds DVD and we did the 2 mile walk.  It involves more than walking so we felt like we had a good workout when we were done.

Today I had a long list and managed to complete it.  We will be going to Wichita after our 2 day stay in Kansas City.  Our grandsons, Abram and Gideon, celebrate Grandparent's Day at their school prior to Thanksgiving each year so that is what we'll be doing next Tuesday morning.  It's always fun. The teachers always have some fun things for us to participate with the kids on during the day.  I think the boys really look forward to it.

First thing, was to get us registered for the Grandparent's Day event.  Since the weather seems to be getting colder each day I thought maybe it was time to make sure I have all of our winter clothing out.  This gives me a good chance to sort through everything and decide what I want to keep and what can go in the giveaway pile.  Of course, that means laundry needs to be done, as well.  That chore never seems to go away, however, at least it's not a daily job like it was when the kids were all at home.  I actually enjoy doing laundry but once or twice a week is much nicer than 1-2 loads daily.  November is a big birthday month for not only family members but several very dear friends.  Since they start this week I needed to get my cards made out and some of them in the mail.  

I used a new roast recipe today.  I first heard about this while having my hair done about a year ago.  It's called Mississippi roast, according to Pinterest.

Using a 3-4 pound roast, add 1 pkg. au jus mix; 1 pkg. hidden valley dressing mix; 1 stick of butter and several pepperocinis around the top of the roast.  Cook 6-8 hours on low.  It was really good.  Since we needed to eat and be on the road to attend a basketball game soon afterwards I cheated with a package of instant potatoes and some frozen corn.  

Tonight is our granddaughter Kamron's first basketball game.  They are playing in a pre-season tournament in Bartlett, KS.  My son Marc is coaching her team. It was not the best way to start the tournament with a loss, but they will play again on Thursday night.  Hopefully that will be a better game.



Tuesday, November 17, Oswego

It was still raining this morning, so we walked with Leslie Samsone again this morning and did the two mile walk again.  I made a batch of homemade noodles this morning for Thanksgiving.  I think I'm going to need a second batch to feed my bunch so I'll get that done later this week.

After cleaning up the kitchen I got ready to meet some friends for lunch.  Peggy and Linda are good friends who I have known for a long time.  We served together on the Oswego Chamber of Commerce board many years ago and we've tried to get together for lunch periodically since then.  We also served on the Oswego Community Foundation Board together.  This was the first time we've had a chance to get together since Dean and I returned from our trip.  It was great to visit with them and catch up on what was going on in each other's lives.  I shared some of our travel stories with them and before we knew it, it was time to head out.  By the way today was Peggy's birthday so it was fun to celebrate with her.  When we first arrived Linda and I told her Happy birthday.  Evidently the waitress overheard us, and once we were finished with our meal (at our local Mexican Restaurant, Mi Pueblo), they brought out a plate of sopapillas with honey and whipped cream.  Peggy was nice enough to share with Linda and I.  They were very good.

Once I returned home, I changed clothes and headed to Bentley to give him a good cleaning before we leave on our trip next week.  A few hours later, the carpets were clean, the bed was made up with clean sheets, and I had moved out quite a few things that we will not need on this trip.



Wednesday, November 18, Oswego

We had to be up and ready to leave the house by 7 this morning as I have an appointment with an endodontist at 8 in Joplin.  What a way to begin the day, huh?  I am not a fan of dentists, or endodontists, but I guess I should be thankful they exist.  I have a tooth that has been bothering me for quite awhile and I guess it's time to get something done.  I will be returning after the first of the year for a root canal.  

We had a list of things we wanted to get done while we were in Joplin, so our next stop was at Sam's Club.  They have large 2.5# bags of salted almonds.  Dean goes through them like candy --- just kidding --- but he does eat them often.  They are the cheapest packages I can find and we are almost out of almonds.  While there I wanted to check out prices on converting all of my family's old home movies to DVD's.  Unfortunately the lady who handles this was out until 9:30 and we didn't want to wait around that long.  I picked up information and I'll call her after Thanksgiving to get more details.

Our next item on the to-do list was to find Dean a new pair of tennis shoes.  I thought buying shoes for me was tough.  We stopped at Academy, Shoe Carnival, Penney's, Champs, Finish Line, Kohl's and finally found something he liked and that actually fit him at The Shoe Department at Northpark Mall.  He about wore me out!

Next stop was Joe Harding's, a restaurant wholesaler that sells to the public as well.  I was looking for a large mouth funnel, but no luck.  We are looking for a dresser for the extra bedroom so we visited a couple of flea markets but again, we had no luck.  After I got home I was sharing this with Cindy and she told me I should have gone to Connie's (a large flea market in Joplin), so I'll have to check it out next time.

Before our last stop we had lunch at Golden Corral.  We really like the Joplin GC.  It's a good option for choosing great food that is great for your diet.  I just cheated with a little bit of bread pudding.  I think they make some of the best bread pudding I've ever had.  After lunch we made a quick stop at Wal-mart to pick up a couple of things and then headed home. One item from Wal-Mart was a rotisserie chicken which I deboned once I got home.  I'll use it to go in my dressing for Thanksgiving.

I turned the step counter on my phone on while we were out and about and we walked over 6,000 steps while in Joplin.  That's about equal to walking in the park each day.



Thursday, November 19, Oswego

We were able to walk this morning and it was a beautiful day.  I didn't even need to wear my coat over my sweatshirt this morning the first couple of laps like I usually do.  We walked 2.63 miles this morning and had our best time as well.  

After we returned home, we had breakfast and I started laundry which went on for a good part of the day.  I made another batch of noodles, browned 5 pounds of hamburger for the freezer, and cleaned the bathrooms.  Bathrooms are not my favorite job, but it must be done.  I also packed Bentley with our clothes for the next five days, food to eat and did some general cleaning in the kitchen.  It seems you get everything done and it's time to start on something else all over again.  I guess that's why they say a housewife's work is never done.  
We made hash from the leftover roast we had for dinner tonight.  As always it was wonderful.  Dean typically makes the hash because he does a better job than I do.  Growing up hash at our house was left over meat, potatoes, carrots and gravy with bread and butter. Dean fries potatoes and adds the roast when the potatoes are almost done to give it just a touch of crispiness and to warm it.  We have it with pork and beans.  I have to add a little ketchup to mine.  I really like Dean's way better, but both are good.

Today is our Uncle Gary West's birthday.  He is married to my mom's youngest sister, Lil.  I tried to call them earlier today but they were not home. I hope he had a great day.

I called Cindy earlier this afternoon to see if she was able to get my pecans.  She works with a lady from Chetopa, who with her husband have a storefront of various nuts.  Cindy had them and told me she would run them by as she had to stop by the drug store.  It wasn't but 10-15 minutes later and she called to say she had locked herself out of her house.  Dean and I headed over there to help her try and get in.  Dean was finally able to get the door unlocked and we got her fixed up.  She decided she'd have some extra keys made to leave with some of us in case this would ever happen again.  

Marc called later to see if we were coming to Kamron's basketball game.  I had entirely forgot about it.  We had not eaten yet, we would need to get cleaned up and I was afraid we wouldn't make it in time so I apologized and we'll keep up with them after the game to find the outcome.

Fortunately when Marc called later, it was with great news.  The girls one their game and they will play again tomorrow night.  Unfortunately we will be in Kansas City, so they will call with an update after the game.

Friday, November 20, Kansas City

We loaded up the last of our things in Bentley this morning and then headed to Tina's for breakfast.  As usual it was quite good.  We made a stop at the post office to have them hold our mail until we get back, and then headed home to hookup Bentley and head north.

We were on our way about 9:30.  It was a nice drive and the new truck pulled Bentley very well, nice and easy with barely a bump or chug even on bad areas of the road.  What a difference it is from our last truck.  While the truck itself was great, it was not a smooth, comfortable ride.  My back and legs were always tired and this trip was a dream in comparison.  

We pulled into Walnut Valley RV Park in Merriam, KS around noon.  The owner called me to ask how much longer before we arrived.  I think he was surprised when I said about 10-15 minutes.  He was watching for us, and waved us in.  I'm glad he was near the road because we most likely would have driven right past it.  It was right in the middle of a housing addition, but the best part it was less than 1 mile from IKEA.  

We had a nice easy pull through spot that Dean loved.  I headed inside to put out the slides and soon yelled at Dean, we have a problem!  Yes, again.  There was water all over the kitchen floor and running down from the bathroom.  We filled the water tank before leaving since it is supposed to freeze here tonight.  Evidently the stool was running and the water sloshed out of the stool on to the floor, running down the stairs and over the kitchen area. It's always an adventure!  We grabbed some towels and began mopping it up.  It wasn't that much water, but it was annoying and cold, because we didn't have the heat on yet, of course.  I ended up running over to the laundromat to wash the towels.  At least it was warm in the laundromat!  By the time I got back to Bentley, he was nice and warm too.

We chilled the rest of the afternoon and about 5:15 we drove to O'Neill's to meet Jeff and Leigh Allison to surprise our friend Donnie Allison on his 60th birthday.  Donnie and Janie arrived a little after 6.  Donnie was surprised to see us and was totally unaware we would be there.  As usual we had many good laughs and enjoyed spending time with Jeff and Leigh's little girl Lilly.  What a cutie she is!  We had a great meal and Leigh surprised Donnie with his favorite, homemade lemon pie!  It was DELICIOUS!!  We visited for awhile and then Dean and I drove to (across the street) Donnie & Janie's apartment to visit for awhile.

We always have great laughs and good times with Donnie and Janie, and tonight was no different.  We decided we would meet for breakfast tomorrow at "The Big Biscuit" and then make plans to spend the day together.  



Saturday, November 21, 2015, Kansas City

Donnie and Janie were already seated at the "Big Biscuit" when we arrived.  They gave each of us a small pot of coffee.  The food was great.  I had scrambled eggs and diced ham with browned potatoes and a biscuit.  I ate about 1/3 of potatoes and 1/2 biscuit with the eggs/ham.  It was very good.  I would definitely revisit the Big Biscuit again.  The biscuit was very light and fluffy. I'm trying not to eat a lot of starches but it tasted good to have a little bit.

After breakfast we headed to Donnie & Janie's apartment to determine what we would do for the day.  The plan was to head to IKEA and take a look around, have some lunch and then visit a big sportswear sale they are having at the old mall at 95th & Metcalf.

The guys were so excited about visiting IKEA - well, not really.  They were great sports though.  Dean and I actually bought something, a small dresser to put in our spare bedroom to hold blankets, sheets, etc. I do not have enough storage for everything and this will come in really handy.  When we have guests we can clear a few drawers for their usage, especially when the kids are here for several days at a time.

We tried out a BBQ place for lunch.  It was very good, although I cannot remember the name of it. Everyone was pleased with their meal.

We headed back to Donnie & Janie's for a bit while Janie put some things together for a meal tonight, then we took off to the sportswear sale.  We were shocked at the number of vehicles in the parking lot.  It was packed and we wondered if something else besides the sportswear sale was gong on.  Donnie asked one of the guys he met as he came out if it was worth going in, and he said we didn't want to hear what he had to say but finally told us, no it wasn't.  However, Janie was looking for something specific and she hit the jackpot and found a few sweatshirts she was looking for.  

We returned to their place and then Dean and I headed back to the RV.  Donnie and Janie will come over later and we'll eat at our place.  Janie made her chicken chili and cornbread. It was delicious.  We visited for awhile before they took off.  We had a great time and look forward to getting back this way to see them and have many more laughs together.




No comments:

Post a Comment