Travels with Bentley

Travels with Bentley
Bentley - our Heartland Bighorn

Friday, November 13, 2015

Sunday Nov 1 - Saturday, Nov 7, 2015 - Oswego & Wichita. KS

Sunday, Nov 1 - Saturday, Nov 7, 2015 - Oswego & Wichita, KS

Sunday, Nov 1 - Wichita, KS

We attended church with our son Jarred, his wife Andrea and their little girl Emerson, who is now 7 months old.  Today was her dedication at church.  

Here is a picture of her with her daddy in her precious little dress that her mama and grandma Diane worked on for quite sometime.  

Following church many family members returned to Jarred and Andrea's new house for a luncheon of BBQ.  Andrea must have worked herself silly because the house looked wonderful--- and they just finished moving in yesterday.  WOW!  The food was delicious as was the company and we enjoyed our time with them.  

We returned to Bentley and I worked on getting some things done so Dean won't have so much to do tomorrow morning before leaving.  I will be leaving around 5:00 to drive back in the van.  I will pick Jaxson (Marc & Jen's 3 year old) up and he will be staying with us on Monday and Tuesday.  Dean headed to Heath's to help him with some wiring in order to get internet to their basement.


Monday, Nov 2 - Oswego, KS

I was up and ready to leave the RV Park at 4:30.  With no traffic to speak of, it still took me 30 minutes to drive from the park, on the far west side to the Quick Trip on the east side of Wichita.  I needed my morning coffee!  Leaving QT it was very dark at the intersection and I turned left - I thought it was farther to the right than it was, only to look up to see cars coming at me in the distance - Oh no, I was in the wrong lane.  I made a quick U-turn and turned back up the side road and into the QT parking lot.  Had to get my bearings before trying that again!!   That was an eerie experience!

The drive was really great with barely any traffic.  As I passed the exit to Highway 77 east of Augusta I could see the sun begin to break over the horizon creating a beautiful line of orange glow.  Unfortunately it was still too dark to really see the Flint Hills area, but the lights of the wind turbines dotted the sky with their blinking, bright red lights.  Soon I noticed this large black cloud building on the horizon and near Elk River I ran into a heavy,heavy fog.  It was difficult to see much more than 50' or so.  Fortunately traffic was still very light.  I just slowed down and enjoyed my music and the ride.  Unfortunately, I did hit an area that was extremely bad right where significant road construction was occurring.  Even though it was too early for workers to be on the job, the markers were difficult to see in such thick fog, but I made it through.  The fog continued until I reached the Labette County line.  I stopped in at Marc's to pick up Jaxson and we headed to Oswego.  Normally I would have taken Montana Road, especially since there is quite a bit of construction work on Highway 59 south of Parsons to the Altamont junction, however I'm glad I decided not to do that.  The fog turned quite thick south of Parsons and was like this all the way to Oswego.  It would have been much worse on Montana Road.

Jaxson and I had a great day.  He really loves to play hide and seek right now.  He was very ingenious with his hiding places.  I would walk through the house saying I wonder where Jaxson is.  I could hear him giggling as I would get close to him.  Once he turned the toy tub upside down and hid under it.  Another time he climbed up on my bed and used the pillows to cover himself up.  It was cute and lots of fun to find him and tickle him.  He loves to be tickled and will lay down on the floor and say "tickle me Nana".  

It was a fun day.  He took a good nap and I wasn't sure how well he would sleep tonight but he was out within 15-20 minutes after he laid down for the night.


Tuesday, Nov 3 - Oswego

Jaxson slept until about 7 or so this morning.  He was in a happy mood and was soon playing with the Tinkertoys.  We bought these several years ago when Logan, our oldest grandson was just a toddler - he is now 16.  All of the kids love coming to Nana and Papa's to play with the Tinkertoys.  It's the first thing they get out!  I mentioned to Dean that it amazes me how much the kids have enjoyed them over the years.  He agreed and told me we should look at buying more of them.  I told him I had the same thought and had actually looked on Amazon to see if the wooden ones were still available - they sure are for just under $200.  WOW!  This isn't a huge set either!

Jennifer works on Mondays and Tuesdays.  Jaxson usually stays with Jen's mom, Lou or Mimi to Jaxson, but she had some other things going on this week.  Jen called to say she would be home early today and would pick Jaxson up around noon.  

He will be back next Monday and Tuesday though and I look forward to having him back to visit.  He's such a cheerful little guy and loves for me to get down on the floor and play with him, and I love doing it.


Wednesday, Nov 6 was spent getting things done around the house, and getting ready to go to Wichita tomorrow, which I'll tell you more about later.  


Thursday - Nov 5 - Wichita

I had a hair appointment this morning to get my hair styled and then I came home to finish packing for an overnight trip to Wichita to attend the City Clerks and Municipal Finance Officers annual Institute banquet.  The Institute is a four year training for City Clerk's and the banquet honors the 4th year graduates from the Institute program.  The Board of Directors decided to invite all former CCMFOA Presidents and City Clerks of the Year to attend the dinner as well.  Fortunately I will have someone to enjoy the ride to Wichita with today.  I picked Mary Reed (former City Clerk & City Manager in Parsons, KS - and my mentor and very dear friend) up about 11:15 at her home.  We stopped at the Kitchen Pass for lunch before driving on to Wichita.  After an enjoyable ride where we were able to catch up with what was going on in each other's lives, we arrived at the hotel a little before 3:00.  We were fortunate that our room was ready and we were able to get right in.  As we entered the front door we ran into Gary Fees, Manhattan City Clerk and was able to chat with him for a few minutes before he headed back home.   Once Mary and I made it to our room, we freshened up a bit and headed down to the meeting room areas.  We ran into several other former and current clerks.  It was such a great time seeing so many dear friends.  This was my first time at a clerk's meeting in 2.5 years, and I was thrilled to be here. 

The reception was to begin at 6:00 so we headed to our room about 5:30 to change. Several of our friends was meeting in one of the rooms just down the hall and we headed down to visit for a few minutes before we all went down to the reception.  What a great time we had. Afterwards we all headed up to the Hospitality Room to visit with not only our friends but to also visit with the clerks who are attending Institute this year.  We were able to get a picture of "our group" and I hope to get a copy of it to share here before posting this.

What a great evening it was with wonderful, dear friends.  I miss them all so much and I am so thankful for the opportunity to come back to participate in this special occasion.


Friday - Nov 6 - Wichita & Oswego

Mary and I took our time getting around this morning.  We decided to stop at a couple of stores before we headed back.  Neither of us had ever been to a Costco, and there is a brand new one right across the street from the Marriott where we stayed.  I pointed the van in that direction.  Soon we were inside.  We asked if we could take a look since we are not members and they provided us with a tour guide.  Once he told us about their setup and the various areas in the store he allowed us to just look around.  It seemed their prices are not bad, however Wichita and Kansas City are the two closest to us.  I'm not sure we would benefit that much.  Now, if one of our kids living in Wichita are members we might take advantage of the opportunity to visit with them for a few things.  We'll have to check that out.  
Mary had never been to an "At Home" store.  There was a new one near us so we paid a visit there as well.  I did find a small rug to replace one at the front door.  If you  haven't visited one of these they really do have many things you might want for decorating your home.  I really do not need anything myself but I enjoy looking.

We arrived back in Parsons around 2:30.  I picked up my granddaughter Kamron, Jaxson's older sister at her school at 3:00.  She is coming back to Oswego with me.  We had a good visit on our ride home.  Once we got back to Oswego she tried to pull a little prank on her old Papa.  The kids love to "take" Papa's chair when he gets up and they really love it when he pulls them out of it.  It's a game they started years ago and it just seems to carry on as each new grandchild figures out what is going on and takes their turn in the fun. 

Dean came in to find Kamron in "his" chair and they went through the drill of Papa pulling Kamron out of it.  Once she was out and he was back in it, here comes Kamron with a piece of paper and asked Papa to sign his name.  When he asked why, she said I just want to see how you write your name, so he complied.  Then she handed him another piece of paper that said, "Kamron owns the Big Red chair.  Please give it to her or else it will be bad."
Then she said now I have your signature saying I do own the chair and you have to get out. He told her he didn't sign that, just a blank piece of paper, so under his signature of Dean Peine she wrote "approves this on the next sheet of paper" and gives him both pages.  We had some good laughs over it.

We drove back to Parsons to eat dinner at Chinese Chef, and then a quick stop at Wal-mart before taking Kamron back home.  We visited with Marc and Jen for awhile and then headed home.  I was pretty tired after such a long day.


Saturday - Nov 6 - Oswego & Parsons


Cindy and I decided to head to Parsons this morning to some of the Christmas open houses there.  They were also having a craft show so we had to stop and check it out too.  A lady from Erie, KS was selling all kinds of jelly and she had samples of each kind.  Oh my goodness, they were all good but I finally decided on a "bacon Jalapeno jelly".  I'll save this for Christmas when the kids are here.  It will make a great appetizer with some cream cheese and crackers.

We visited a few other stores including Jennifer's sisters store "Upscale Country".  They had some wonderful smelling candles that I couldn't leave without.  Guess who we ran into here but Kamron and her cousin Madison.  They were so darn cute!  From there we headed to George's Hallmark.  I was glad we stopped here as I did not have a Christmas ornament for Emerson yet.  I always purchase a Baby's First Christmas ornament for each of the grandkids to go on our tree.  

I was able to get some things done at home later this afternoon and evening and then we enjoyed some downtime the rest of the evening.  After a busy week, it was quite welcome.






No comments:

Post a Comment