Travels with Bentley

Travels with Bentley
Bentley - our Heartland Bighorn

Tuesday, July 28, 2015


Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - Oswego, KS

 

The last few weeks we have been very busy getting ready to leave on our trip.  We are 5 days from departure date - Sunday, August 2.

Leaving for a few weeks (most of our past trips) is quite different than planning for 3 months on the road.  Trying to determine what clothes to take in case weather temps change is a big decision, but there is so much more to think about before leaving for this time period.  Such as having utilities shut off or put on vacation, making sure we get our car tags while we are on the road (they come due in September), determining how we will handle mail, ensuring we have enough of our daily medication with us, that we will receive all of our bills through email or they are set up to be paid by direct withdrawal from our account, letting the credit card companies know where we will be traveling.  We utilize two cards to track our travel expenses.  On one we are required to update our travel itinerary every two weeks and the second we must update once a month.  I had to add a reminder to my calendar to be sure I follow up on this.  I have made several notes of things to do before leaving, such as forward our home phone to our cell phone, shut the air conditioner off, etc. and I hope I don’t forget anything too important.  My sister Cindy, and/or our daughter Misti will be our eyes at home in case something is needed or I suddenly remember something I didn’t do.  They are really good to help us and we really appreciate them. 

But even with all of this, we are excited about the trip and look forward to it.  Dean may not be as much as I am but he is excited to see Matt, Megan and our youngest grandson Josh.   I am the eternal optimist and I know we are going to have a fantastic time.  And even if we get a lemon we are going to make lemonade from it!  And we love lemonade!

Dean’s been working himself silly, between giving Bentley a much needed bath, reorganizing his storage bin, power washing the house, keeping up the mowing, being Elmer’s (my brother-in-law) golf partner, oh, wait that isn’t work – but a guy has to have some fun, right?  He sure takes good care of me and Bentley.   Thanks honey! 

I have prepared our travel map and selected locations where we will overnight until we reach Matt’s.  I’ll work on the rest of the travels once we are in New York.  Our goal is to be on the road no later than 9 or 10 am and to arrive at our new daily location by 2 pm.  This gives us time to check out the campground and/or community where we stay before dinner.  One of our goals is to get back to our daily walking.  Hopefully we’ll be able to find parks, downtown walking tours, or hiking in the area to not only give us some exercise but might also provide an opportunity to learn more about the community where we stay.  We plan to follow US Highways as much as possible as we prefer the slower pace compared to Interstate traffic.  We are not in a hurry and want to enjoy the scenery as we pass through several states in this first leg of our journey.

I hope you have signed up to follow us on our journey.   I love to hear your comments so feel free to let us know what you think or if you have questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment