Travels with Bentley

Travels with Bentley
Bentley - our Heartland Bighorn

Friday, April 4, 2014

Wednesday, April 3, 2014 - Beaver Dam Site Park Campground


I woke up at 5:00 a.m. this morning as usual.  We had opened the windows last night.  I guess the fresh air made me tired because I just rolled over and went back to sleep.  At approximately 6:00 a loud siren went off – I set straight up in bed.  What in the world was that?  Surely they were not releasing water from the dam at this hour!  In a few minutes it sounded again.

 Dean got up and made the coffee and soon I followed.  After our coffee, we decided to take a walk.  First thing we checked out was the river to see what the water level was.  Sure enough they had released water.  Look at these pictures compared to those from yesterday.  I don’t mind the siren – but not when I’m sound asleep – with a window open at my ear!!

 
 


We had a nice walk through the adjacent pine tree campground.  Here’s a picture of the trees. 

 

On the way back I snapped this picture of the “Hidden Lake”.  Yesterday there was a young couple fishing at this spot.

 


After we got back from our walk (about a half mile), we got around and headed into town, but not before we had the first rain of the day, with some heavy lightening and a little hail.  We drove into the historic downtown area of Eureka Springs but we did not find any flea markets.  Since we did not really need or want anything except a small table we passed on walking through the shops downtown this trip.  We found three different flea markets but unfortunately none of them had a table that fit our needs.  We stopped at Bubba’s BBQ for lunch.  We both had pulled pork sandwiches and shared some French fries.  The pork was very tender and moist and the fries were quite good as well.  I would recommend this spot to anyone visiting ES!

Before leaving town, we stopped to fill up the truck.  Dean wants to get fuel the night before we leave for our next location so we do not have to make a stop while pulling the trailer.  Then we pulled into the local grocery store (Hart’s) for some lunch meat, cheese and more lettuce.  We’ll have another grilled chicken salad for our dinner tonight.  Tomorrow I’ll make sandwiches we can eat on our way to Russellville.  Hopefully we’ll find a place we can pull off the road for a break about half way.  This is the longest travel day we have planned.  It is 167 miles and will take us about 4 hours.  We prefer to keep the travel time to 2-3 hours a day if we can. 

We are under a tornado watch until about 9 this evening.  4 hours to go!

Well, we made it through the storms in the area.  We had some pretty heavy rain and some more light hail but that was the extent of it.  I had a head cold last week and this week a nasty cough continues to hang on.  This happens every time I get a head cold.  I wish I knew the secret to getting rid of it without having to wait several weeks for this part to go away.  UGH! 

Stay tuned for our next stop.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment