Travels with Bentley

Travels with Bentley
Bentley - our Heartland Bighorn

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Friday, April 18, 2014 Ft. Hood RV Park, Ft. Hood, Texas

Good morning everyone!  Hope you are all doing well.

We had a slow start to our day yesterday, taking our time getting up, having our routine breakfast cereal, spending time on the computer and doing little "household chores".  Living in a small space I really like everything in it's place and it does not feel right to leave for the day without making sure that is taken care of.  When I do not have to rush - that's all the better.  Part of retirement to me is not "rushing" anymore.

As much as I loved my job, I have not missed it - which is a little surprising to me as it was so much a part of me.  But what I have found I do not miss is the anxiety I would sometimes feel, the neck aches from the stress, etc.  My neck no longer hurts (except from my head bobbing, when I fall asleep as Dean is driving, or trying to watch a movie - hahaha),  I no longer wear a mouthpiece at night to keep from grinding my teeth and I just don't feel like I'm always in a hurry because there was never enough time in the day to get things done.  I would not have traded the excitement of my job for anything - it was the best job in the world; however it was certainly time to lay it aside and move on and I'm thankful it has been such an easy transition. 

We had made plans to meet Matt and Megan about 11:00 today to go play my new favorite game.  Too bad we have to make the trip all the way to Texas in order to do this.  I know a few of you have heard about this and have even played it but for you golfers out there if you ever get the chance to play "Top Golf", do it!  It is just great fun.  I do not particularly care to go to a driving range and just hit golf balls one after the other.  But Top Golf changes that.  Matt drove us to Austin, Texas where Top Golf is located.  They also have one in Dallas and a few other locations around the US.  (Hey all, I just found out there is now one in Oklahoma City - woohoo!)

I've taken a few pictures and will explain more about it after each one.  As you near TG you can see their large nets long before you see the building. 

The facility is a large building, with three levels.  You can take your own clubs to use or you can use the clubs they have at each bay.  I'm not sure how many "bays" there are, but I would guess something like 30-40 on each level.  There are 3 levels that you can play from.  Yesterday we were on the mid-level.  Last time we were here we played from the lower level.  The side of the building that overlooks the outfield (215 yards deep) is open as you will see in the picture below.  Behind that you have an area to store your golf clubs (just like on the back of your golf cart), and a table that seats up to 6 people, similar to a bowling alley.   Anyone can play this game including children and you can play year-round no matter the weather (assuming weather conditions allow you to reach your destination)!  You pay by the hour.  Through the week (Mon-Thurs) it is $20/hour through 6pm.  Then the price increases to $40/hour until closing at 10pm.  On weekends (Fri-Sun) it is $20/hour through noon; and then $40/hour until closing. 

 Here is Dean taking some of his first shots.  You can see the dartboard-like targets in the ground.  You hit special golf balls that are microchipped.  The closer you get to the center or "bull's-eye" the more points you receive. 


This is where the golf balls are released.  At the top right you see a small hole.  You wave your club over this to release each ball.  We chose to hit 5 balls at a time with a total of 20 per player.  There is another screen where you change to the next player after each person completes their round,  I forgot to get a picture of it.
 

This is the scorecard for those playing.  If you click on the picture to enlarge it you can see I was able to stay with the guys somewhat.  I was quite pleased with the fact that I actually had a couple of shots that went beyond the brown and green target to roll into the blue.  I'm not sure either of them made it to the white target this time and I can assure you I never did.  We played 3 games and part of a 4th when our time ran out.  We chose to play for two hours.  Believe me - the time goes so fast.  I think even non-golfers would enjoy this game!

Another great thing, is they have a full food and beverage menu and the food is excellent!  You know how happy that makes me as a foodie!  Yesterday I had a turkey/avocado wrap and a side salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing.  It was very, very good.  Later Megan ordered a donut hole type dessert, that comes with large syringes that you can infuse the donuts with either raspberry or chocolate sauce!  The donuts have a sugar type dusting over them after they have been deep fried.  Oh my gosh this is dessert heaven!  Each sauce had such a distinctive taste I could not decide which I liked best, so I guess next time I might need an order of my own to make a final determination!!  :)


I even took a picture of the dessert.  The donut holes were in the two silver cups and I laid one of the donuts on the syringes.  There was plenty of sauce for all of these donuts!

After this we headed back to Killeen.  I tried to talk Matt into stopping at IKEA but he just flew right on past that exit.  Hmmmm!  Do you think the guys are telling me something?  I have to tell you that we did stop here our first visit to see them shortly after they moved to the area almost two years ago.  He could not WAIT to get out of that store.  Guess I'll never get him to take me back again.  But ladies it is such a neat store.  Maybe this should be a road trip for us someday!

We hung out at Matt and Megan's for the rest of the evening.  Megan and I ran to the local grocery store (H.E.B.) which is wonderful.  I love huge grocery stores that offer a larger variety of things than we normally see at home.  Just looking is fun to me!  It takes so little to please me.  HAHAHAHA

Matt grilled hamburgers and they were delish!  For dessert, Megan had mini brownie cups that we placed in the bottom of a bowl, added vanilla ice cream and lots of chocolate syrup.  YUMMY!!  We seen a coffee flavored ice cream in the store - that I think would have also been very good on the brownies and to take it a step further how about a mashed up Heath bar along with it too. 

We then watched another movie at their house - Delivery Man with Vince Vaughn.  The father who discovered he had 533 children.  What I seen of the movie was really good - but unfortunately I did that bobbing head thing through most of it - yes my neck was a little sore this morning from that!  I would like to watch the rest of it someday!

Well, Matt just called and they want to go eat breakfast!  I'm not one to miss a meal, so Bentley is out!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Cheri Rae! With a little help from my hubby I found your blog. I wasn't aware I could click on the icon next to your name on our blog's comment section to find you. I learn something new almost every day. I truly enjoyed reading about Top Golf & I am not a golfer. My father turned me off on it years ago as a child but now I have to admit, I'd like to try my hand at Top Golf. I had Don read this entry as well & he thinks it would be fun too. He does golf by the way. I look forward to following yours & Deans travels & hope to see a post soon on the birth of your new grandchild. Enjoy your visit.

    ReplyDelete